As you’re picking out Halloween pumpkins this week, be sure to get an extra one. What he have in store is going to make your taste buds sing. When it’s time to hollow out your new stylista flaired Jack O’ Lantern, try hollowing out a second pumpkin, to make an amazingly spooktacular Pumpkin Soup from the “flesh” of the pumpkin and serve it up in your very own pumpkin “caldron.” The soup gets its creamy texture from Green Valley Organics lactose free kefir. And, it being lactose free and gluten free, the only spooky gurgling sounds will be coming from goblins and ghosts – not from the tummies of any of your fellow socialistas or guests that may be lactose intolerant or sensitive.
Psst **Substitute** the fresh pumpkin with canned pumpkin or butternut squash if you like.)
PUMPKIN (OR BUTTERNUT SQUASH) SOUP WITH KEFIR
1 regular pumpkin (rind removed) or butternut squash (rind removed) or 1 large can of
100% unflavored pumpkin puree
1 medium yellow onion
2 celery stalks
2 cloves of garlic
2 quarts low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp. fresh, chopped or 1 t. dried sage leaves
1 tsp. fresh chopped ginger
3 Tbsp. of olive oil
1 quart Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Plain Kefir
Salt and/or pepper to taste
1. In a blender or food processor, chop the pumpkin and vegetables into small bits.
2. Put the olive oil into the pot— heat; add vegetables, garlic and spices.
3. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.
4. Pour in the broth.
5. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 40 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat and let it set for 20 minutes to cool. Remove bay leaves.
7. In portions, put the soup back into the blender or processor and puree.
8. Put the puree back into the pot and add/blend in the kefir, reheat slightly.
9. Serve. To garnish, add a little nutmeg and sage.
And from pumpkins to peaches – be on the lookout for NEW Green Valley Organics Peach Yogurt with pieces of juicy, sweet organic peaches at the bottom of each cup – its peachy keen!
And for dessert, try some AMAZING!
Sour Cream Pumpkin BUNDT Cake
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice
- 2 tsp. butter
Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice in small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumble.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 100% pure pumpkin
- 8 oz Green Valley Organics sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan.
2. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat granulated sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla extract; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
3. To assemble: Spoon half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle Streusel over batter, not allowing Streusel to touch sides of pan. Top with remaining batter. Make sure batter layer touches edges of pan.
4. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with Glaze.
Combine: 1 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar and 2 to 3 Tbsp. orange juice or milk in small bowl; stir until smooth.
Estimated Times: Preparation – 12 minutes; Cooking – 55 minutes. Yields 12 to 16 serving.