The National Retail Federation (NRF) ranked the gift of spa among the top three Mother’s Day gifts this year, and a new Mother’s Day survey suggests moms are thrilled with that.
Moms today feel more stressed out than ever – and for Mother’s Day an astounding 93 percent would rather be treated to a relaxing experience like a dinner out, spa visit, or a trip than receive material gifts like jewelry, flowers, or candy.
- Mom wants “me time” at the spa: Before booking a mother-daughter spa day, think about whether or not mom would prefer to go alone first. Many people automatically book a mother/daughter spa trip and our survey found that 48% percent of Moms would “honestly prefer a little time to themselves.”
- Avoid exotic treatments: If you’re unsure what spa treatment to book for mom, go for a “tried-and-true classic” like a massage, facial, or mani-pedi, etc. Two-thirds of moms surveyed preferred a standard treatment, rather than something more exotic.
- Many families are not together on Mother’s Day: 51% of respondents reported they won’t physically be with mom this Mother’s Day. If you’re readers are getting a last-minute gift and are concerned about shipping time, Sallie can also tell your audience about the SpaFinder Gift Certificate, the only universal spa gift certificate redeemable at over 7,000 spas and wellness businesses worldwide. The SpaFinder gift certificate gives mom freedom to choose where and when she’d like to use it and it never expires.
Those are among the surprising findings from a new survey released today by SpaFinder, the world’s largest spa and wellness media, marketing, and gifting company.
The survey revealed that most mothers with kids at home have little or no time for themselves, and believe they are much more stressed out than their own mothers were a generation ago. A whopping 93% said that the perfect Mother’s Day gift would involve doing something relaxing as opposed to receiving a material gift.
Other key findings from the survey:
- No “Me” Time: 63% of moms report that they have an hour or less to themselves each day, while 26% report they have no time alone. For moms with kids still at home, 72% report they have an hour or less for themselves each day.
- Stress: 97% of moms report they are either “occasionally” or “frequently” stressed out, with the majority (51%) saying that they are frequently stressed out.
- Top Ways to De-Stress: Go to a spa/get a massage (49%); watch TV or a movie, or play video games (16%); read (15%).
- Feeling More Stressed Than Their Own Moms: 87% of respondents claim moms today are more stressed out than moms one generation ago. 57% claim they are significantly more stressed today. Among moms with kids at home, 63% report believing they are more stressed than mothers a generation ago.
“With moms more stressed out now than ever before, it’s not surprising that quality relaxation time is the number one gift on their wish list,” said Sallie Fraenkel, Executive Vice President of SpaFinder. “This survey reveals that moms know instinctually that the best thing they could receive this Mother’s Day is some serious down time, like a meal out or a day at the spa, as opposed to candy, flowers, or jewelry.”
Fraenkel noted that other statistics confirm the growing popularity of spa gifts for Mother’s Day. In May 2011, SpaFinder gift certificates saw a 115% increase in sales over non-holiday months. SpaFinder Gift Certificates are the only spa gift certificates that can be redeemed at over 7,000 spas worldwide – from prestigious vacation resorts like Canyon Ranch and Miraval to local day spas to national yoga, Pilates and fitness studios, including Bliss and Equinox gyms.
Methodology: The survey of 740 mothers was conducted online in April, 2012.
And check out these awesome articles to help you “unleash the bliss” this mother’s day…
The world’s largest spa media, marketing and gifting company, SpaFinder, Inc., connects millions of wellness-focused consumers with thousands of spas, yoga, Pilates and fitness studios and wellness practitioners worldwide. SpaFinder’s media properties include the award-winning http://www.spafinder.com, the Club Spa e-newsletter and blog and the annual NewBeauty SpaFinder Guide to Global Spa, Wellness & Beauty. SpaFinder and its spa-beauty gift division, SpaWish, offer gift certificates and cards that are redeemable at a combined network of over 9,000 spas, yoga, Pilates and fitness studios, wellness practitioners and salons worldwide, and are available at nearly 100,000 unique retail outlets in 79 countries. SpaFinder Europe and SpaFinder Japan offer regional spa marketing and gifting programs, including localized websites. Currently celebrating its 25th Anniversary, SpaFinder is a privately held company headquartered in Manhattan.